Kerng Tang Kou Bioh Temple, 1895

Home > Historical Attraction > Attraction > Kerng Tang Kou Bioh Temple, 1895

The temple also fondly called Tua Lau Yah Keng in Teo Chew dialect is located at the Muar Kwantung Association building at the beginning point of intersection of Jalan Bakri and Jalan Meriam in the town centre was founded by early settlers from Teochew in 1895, is one of the oldest temples in Muar town. Its name Kerng Tang Kou Bioh means “Guangdong’s Ancient Temple” was derived from Teochew’s geographical location in Guangdong province in China and its ancient Teochew patron deity worshipped at the temple, the “Tua Nang Kong” or “Xuantian Shangdi” (the Lord of Profound Heaven or Black Heavenly Emperor God).

It was initially brought in from Riau Archipelago, Indonesia by Tan Song Hai for worship in a shop house at Jalan Maharani before it was saved in a fire and relocated and installed at the present temple in 1913. The temple was renovated several times and a major one was when the entrance arch with traditional Chinese temple architecture and the big sitting deity statue at the compound build and erected in 1988. During the “Chap Goh Mei” celebration on the last day of Chinese New Year festival, on the 15th day of the first lunar month of Chinese Calendar, drove of Taoism devotees will throng to congregate to pray at the temple and to observe a traditional Teochew custom, called “Puak Tau Sai”.

The temple also fondly called Tua Lau Yah Keng in Teo Chew dialect is located at the Muar Kwantung Association building at the beginning point of intersection of Jalan Bakri and Jalan Meriam in the town centre was founded by early settlers from Teochew in 1895, is one of the oldest temples in Muar town. Its name Kerng Tang Kou Bioh means “Guangdong’s Ancient Temple” was derived from Teochew’s

en